Keene Board of Education 7th Annual Exceptional Teacher Award
For most of us, at least one teacher stands out in our memory as someone who encouraged us and inspired us to do our very best.
This June, the Keene Board of Education will award ten 2017 Exceptional Teacher Awards. These awards are a way for our community to thank our teachers for their exceptional work on behalf of our students. Each teacher awarded will receive $500.00.
There is no one way to be an exceptional teacher. Therefore, the selection committee cannot provide one single set of absolute criteria or rely on one kind of evidence. The award is not intended to be a lifetime achievement award, but rather an award for current outstanding accomplishments.
The committee draws criteria from a number of sources, including, but not limited to:
- Mastery of sound classroom instructional skills, which not only encourages the intellectual interests, but also stimulates the creative work in all students.
- Use of initiative, creativity, and innovation in teaching techniques to inspire students toward independent and original thinking.
- Interaction with students in ways which demonstrate professionalism, while retaining respect, humor, compassion, and concern for the whole child.
- Supports student achievement within the Keene School District curriculum while addressing the educational, social, emotional needs of all students.
- Participates in and engages in quality professional development.
- Utilizes motivational and leadership skills with students and colleagues.
- Positively interacts with staff and parents.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and vitality in learning and teaching.
A teacher is defined as a professional staff member working for Keene School District, including classroom teachers, specials, school librarians/media specialists, guidance counselors, special education teachers, reading specialists, and speech pathologists. Nominated employees must be returning to Keene School District's employment in the fall of 2017. Teachers who have been selected for this award previously may not be reconsidered for five years.*
Nominations will be accepted from any Keene School District community member, including: students (both current and former), parents, employees, and administrators. Nomination submissions are due by May 15, 2017.
*2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Recipients, (not eligible at this time)
2011 - John Bass, Andrea Dube, Melanie Everard, Erika Greenwald, John Kersey, Pam Merrow, John Ohlson, Kate Skinner, Jeremy VanDerKern, and Barbara Ware.
2012 - Megan DiRusso, Linda Fisk, Marianne Lavatori, Tina McLaughlin, Linda Risley, Lisa Seelen, Kristy Symonds, Amy Strong, Jen White, and Deanna Zilske.
2013 - Danielle Heeran, Martha Kennison, Peg Hartz, Johanna Kress, Pauline Brackett, Karen Gianferrari, Lisa Larocque, Jennifer Antoseiwicz, Andrea Levin, and Ali Carr.
2014 - Kate Abbott, Kimberly Baker, Christopher Barry, Monica Foley, Susan Grover, Susan Romano, Debbie Sawyer, Thomas Sullivan, Tracy Thompson, and Jack Timmons.
2015 - Forest Bencivenga, Karen Cloutier, Beth Corwin, Brenda Haenchen, Kristina Hartwell, Barbara Kaufmann, Morris Kimura, Amanda Paul, Eric Stinebring, and Christina Villeneuve.
- Online nominations are preferred. Please use this link.
- Email nominations are also accepted. Send email nominations to: Karen Hatcher, Public Information Coordinator at email@example.com. Please include Exceptional Teacher Nomination in subject line.
- Paper nominations must be addressed to the Keene Board of Education Exceptional Teacher Award Nomination Committee.
- Please, include your name, address, e-mail, and phone number.
- Please, include the name of your teacher nominee, his/her current teaching assignment and school.
- In the first paragraph of your letter, please briefly state your relationship to the teacher nominee (student, administrator, principal, colleague, parent, etc.)
- Please answer the question: What makes this person an exceptional teacher in 500 words or less.
- Deadline for Nominations is May 15, 2017.
Letters of nomination can be:
- Submitted online, using this form.
- Emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please, include "RE: Exceptional Teacher Award" in the message line
- Mailed to:
Keene Board of Education's Exceptional Teacher Award Nomination Committee
c/o Keene Public Information
Keene School District
193 Maple Avenue
Keene, NH 03431
- Submitted in Person between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. to the SAU 29 Central Office (193 Maple Ave. Keene, NH)
The Keene Board of Education appreciates the time citizens take to nominate an exceptional teacher.
Winners will be announced and receive recognition during the June 2017 Keene Board of Education Meeting, to be held in June 2017 Date and time to be announced at Keene High School, Large Group Instruction Area (LGIA).