It is time to register your child for kindergarten for the 2017-2018 school year. To enter kindergarten, evidence must be shown that:
1. Your child will reach the age of five on or before September 30, 2017
2. You are a resident of Keene
If your child is eligible, it is not mandatory that they attend kindergarten this year. If you believe that your child is not ready to attend, you can discuss this with the building Principal or School Counselor.
This year kindergarten registration will take place any day from February 28th to March 3rd from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the home schools. Your child may attend registration, but is not required to.
In order to register your child for kindergarten, you will need to complete the Student Enrollment Form, and bring it with you when you come for registration.
In addition, we will need the following items:
1. Copy of your child’s birth certificate (we can make the copy at registration time if you wish)
2. Proof of your residency (lease, pay stub, credit card or bank statement are acceptable)
3. Your child’s immunization record
4. Recent physical examination form
It is very important to reserve a space for your child at registration time. Therefore, if you do not have all of the above documents by the time of registration, you should still register your child. We understand that it may take some time to get all of the documents together.
New Hampshire state law also requires that all students must have documentation of their immunizations.
Minimum acceptable immunization consists of:
1. 4 doses of DTP, DTaP or DT as long as the 4th dose is on or after the 4th birthday
2. 3 doses of Polio vaccine (all IPV or all OPV) as long as the last dose is after the 4th birthday or 4 doses of Polio vaccine of any combination of IPV or OPV regardless of age of administration
3. 2 doses of MMR given on or after the 1st birthday
4. 3 doses of Hepatitis B
5. 2 doses of Varicella (Chicken Pox) or a blood test confirming immunity
If you are seeking a variance for your child to attend a school other than their home school, please contact one of the elementary schools to obtain a variance request form. The form needs to be turned back in no later than April 28th. Although no variance request is guaranteed, any requests received after April 28th will be assigned a lower priority.
As soon as we have established enrollments and staffing at each school, we will send you a letter inviting you to bring your child into school for a meet and greet in June.
Kindergarten screenings will take place for one to two days just before the start of school. These screenings will be followed by homeroom placements and an orientation. You will receive more information on these events as the date draws nearer.
If you need any help or have any questions, please feel free to give us a call. We look forward to meeting you and your child, and to providing a quality educational experience.
Erik Kress, Principal Franklin School, 217 Washington St., Keene, NH 03431 352-1712
Emily Hartshorne, Principal Fuller School, 422 Elm St., Keene, NH 03431 352-1245
Richard Cate, Principal Symonds School, 79 Park Ave., Keene, NH 03431 352-3405
Patricia Yoerger, Principal Wheelock School, 24 Adams St., Keene, NH 03431 352-2244